“Start changing yourself if you want to change the life around you.”
In looking for a therapist, you have already taken the important first step in acknowledging that either something in your life is not working for you or that you are ready to more fully understand who you are as well as your life choices. It takes strength and courage to face yourself and your unattended or overwhelming emotions.
Therapy can help you to gain a greater understanding of the experiences, patterns and beliefs that keep you from creating a life in which you learn how to face uncomfortable feelings (sadness, anger, anxiety and depression) and interactions. In time, the therapeutic work can help you build a solid foundation that is meaningful, enlivened and dynamic.
I strongly believe that people, given the opportunity, are motivated to evolve towards health and healing. I provide a safe and warm environment built on mutual respect, collaboration and goal-setting. I value insight, reflection, humor and connection as a means for healing relational wounds and transforming trauma. I utilize eclectic therapeutic approaches (Psychodynamic, Attachment Focused-EMDR, Mindfulness approaches, Somatic Awareness/Experiencing and Guided Relaxation) to design an individually tailored treatment plan that will serve as the most effective therapeutic modality for you.
I am a licensed psychologist whose training and experience spans more than 25 years. I value professional and thoughtful care that includes giving candid feedback to the individuals and couples that I treat. Together, we will track your progress and any areas that continue to present difficulties. The ultimate goal, beyond significant symptom relief, is to emerge with a sense of growth and change, a stronger sense of identity, and an increase in your overall life satisfaction. Learning how to tolerate and to sit with uncomfortable emotions in order to find greater acceptance of all aspects of your self is an important outcome.
My practice is diverse in ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation and life circumstances. Here are the areas I specialize in treating.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- TRAUMA/PTSD (Natural Disasters, Assaults, Rape, Accidents, Combat-Related Stress Response, Relational Trauma: Neglect, Attachment Wounds, Sexual and Physical Abuse)
- ANXIETY (Phobias, Panic Disorders, Social Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety)
- DEPRESSION (Acute, Situational and Long-Term)
- LOSS AND GRIEF (Mourning due to Death, Separation, Loss, Unemployment, Aging)
- COUPLES/RELATIONSHIPS (For Straight and LGBT Couples: Communication, Trust, Betrayal, Intimacy, Parenting, Family of Origin Issues, Separation and Divorce)
- LIFE TRANSITIONS & AGE RELATED CHANGE (Wellness and Health, Peri/Menopause, Chronic Conditions, Career Decisions, Coming Out, Pregnancy, Parenting, Empty Nest, Aging)
- CREATIVITY (Creative Blocks, Creative Expression)
“And I guess that is the key-no one is ever going to lock me in or lock me out again. My door is open and I am the one with the key.”
Please feel free to contact me. I am available for a complimentary 10-minute phone consultation, to answer any questions you may have, and to schedule an appointment.